Consequences of a Greenville Traffic Violation
There are many different potential consequences of a traffic violation. The extent of these and the impact they may have on a driver will vary depending on the type of traffic offense and the driver's record. Depending on the case, the driver may be at risk of facing the following penalties and other effects of a violation:
- Driver's license points - these are points applied to a driver's record for certain traffic violations. If a Greenville driver accumulates too many points on his or her record within a 3 year time period, he or she will face driver's license suspension.
- Insurance points - similar to driver's license points, these are applied for traffic violations, but they are applied to the driver's insurance. Accumulating too many points of this kind will result in increased insurance premiums, sometimes up to 25% to 400%.
- Fines/court fees - a fine may be imposed for a traffic infraction, an offense that is not punishable by jail time, as well as for any misdemeanor or felony traffic offense.
Driver's license suspension - a driver may face immediate suspension for certain serious traffic violations, such as DWI/DUI, or may face suspension because he or she accumulated too many points over time.
- Imprisonment - certain serious traffic offenses may result in imprisonment in a county or state correctional facility. DWI is one of these.
- Probation - in lieu of part of all of a prison sentence, a defendant may qualify for probation. This is essentially a conditional release from imprisonment, during which time the defendant must follow certain rules.
- Community service
- Alcohol rehabilitation/counseling
- Driving school
Greenville Traffic Attorney
Make sure you have the opportunity to avoid serious consequences of a traffic violation in the Greenville area by involving an attorney who can handle your case and protect your legal rights.
Contact a Greenville Traffic Defense Lawyer at the Burch Law Office today.